Steps To Take Following An Auto Accident
Your actions in the immediate moments, hours and days after a car accident can make a great difference in the outcome of your injury or wrongful death claim. If you have reached this webpage soon after a car crash in North Carolina or a nearby state, we urge you to give your first priority to the safety and well-being of any injured drivers or passengers. If an injured person needs medical care, prompt treatment can make a great difference in his or her ultimate degree of physical healing and recovery.
Prompt medical evaluation, treatment and care can also make a significant difference in the legal aspects of your case. This is true in many cases because insurance claims adjusters, judges and juries often want evidence that an injured person did everything he or she could to recover. Putting off medical care after a serious car accident can make it hard to prove that the injured person was making his or her best efforts to get better and return to normal function.
Why Retaining A Personal Injury Attorney Is Essential
In addition to calling an ambulance and helping ensure the well-being of an accident victim, witnesses and participants in a car or truck accident should call the police and give accurate testimony to first responders at the scene.
Before any detailed investigation begins, however, it is in your best interests to obtain representation from an attorney. For this reason, we strongly urge you to contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after a car accident. An attorney who is willing to meet you at the scene of the accident or in the hospital is an attorney who cares about getting your case off to a good start.
Other important steps to take after a car accident include
- Getting contact information from any eyewitnesses at the scene
- Taking photos of the crashed car
- Taking photos of the injured person’s wounds
- Requesting a copy of the police report and checking it for accuracy
- Getting legal representation before submitting to detailed questioning by a police investigator or an investigator sent by a car insurance or other insurance company
- Giving your best efforts to therapy and medical treatment designed to help you recover as far as possible
- Staying in close communication with your attorney over the course of your injury or wrongful death case. Stay aware of expert witnesses who are evaluating your case, and share relevant information with them to help bolster evidence in support of your injury claim.
Helping Make A Difference
The Law Offices of Wade E. Byrd P.A. in Fayetteville can help you and your family pick up the pieces after a car accident, truck crash or other major accident. We offer free initial consultations at our law offices, in homes and in hospitals. We handle cases on a contingency basis. We front the costs of expert testimony and collect attorney fees only if we win compensation for the injured person or surviving family members.